|Hiring Organization||Merlin Entertainments Group|
|Post Name||Animal Training Specialist|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||AUD 65000 To AUD 75000 Per Year|
|Location||Sydney, New South Wales Australia 2000|
Animal Training Specialist
Are you passionate about conservation and educating guests with a focus on FUN??? Would you like to work for two of Sydney’s star attractions ensuring that our guests have a magical experience from start to finish?
We have an amazing opportunity to join our team at SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium and WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo as Animal Training Specialists.
About the Role
All of our roles are focused on ensuring that our guests are having the most amazing experiences, and here at Merlin we have a real focus on FUN!!
The Animal Training Specialist is responsible for leading animal training activities across the zoo and aquarium, developing training plans and programs that maximize positive animal welfare and guest experience; working with keepers and aquarists to increase understanding of and abilities in animal behavior management.
The ideal candidate for this role will have a passion for guest experience with a focus on fun. You will also need to meet the following selection criteria:
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience working in a role primarily focused on animal behavior and training, ideally in a zoo and/or aquarium setting.
- Completed or enrolled in Certificate III in Captive Animals or equivalent.
- Proven ability to establish new behaviors across a broad range of species, including writing adaptable animal training plans and developing animal training knowledge and skills in others from a foundational level.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills with a high level of confidence in public speaking.
- Extensive knowledge of natural history, anatomy, animal care, and behavior across a variety of taxa.
- Experience and ability to use, maintain and create reports from records management systems (experience with ZIMS and Orca desirable).
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible, cope with frequent and unpredictable changes to daily routine and workloads, and work, at times, under high pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, problem-solve, work unsupervised, assess tasks, and set priorities.
- NSW Working with Children Check or willingness to obtain at own expense.
- Unrestricted NSW Driver’s License.
- Current First Aid / CPR / Oxygen Administration.
- ADAS Occupation SCUBA Part 1 or Aquarium Diver (desirable).
Please submit a maximum 2-page resume and a maximum 1-page cover letter addressing the selection criteria.
About the Benefits
The salary is in the range of $65k – $75k pa, and other benefits include:
- Corporate benefits include free access to all our attractions worldwide.
- Birthday leave and 3 volunteer days to give back to a social cause you care about.
- Autonomy to introduce disruptive thinking in your profession.
- Global opportunities to develop and progress your skills and career.
- Being part of a business built on fun.
Merlin Entertainments is the company behind iconic brands like SEA LIFE, Madame Tussauds, LEGOLAND, and Peppa Pig World of Play. We operate in over 130 attractions across 25 countries, delivering memorable experiences to 54 million+ visitors a year. Why do we do it? For the love of FUN!!
Everyone Matters at Merlin.
At Merlin, we welcome the world to our magical attractions and resorts every day and we want to reflect that same multicultural mix inside our business too. We strive to create an inclusive and diverse workplace where people can be themselves, have the same opportunities, and thrive together. Because at Merlin, everyone matters!
Together, we work to create a workplace where everyone feels valued, no matter their age, race, gender, disability, or sexual orientation. Although we understand that we’ll always be learning and growing, we aim to be the most inclusive and flexible employer in our industry.