- Company Name: Bird Construction
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
- Job Type: Full-time
Where Greatness Grows
The greatest achievements in history are borne from the greatness within people – where human potential meets vision, and passion fuels evolution. Unlocking this potential is the most important thing we do at Bird.
As a leader in Canadian construction for over 100 years, the impact of our team is etched deeply within the core of our legacy. Beyond Bird, this impact is felt in the fundamental aspects of our everyday lives. From the critical infrastructure we depend on, to the energy and resources that keep us moving – we are powering our communities and shaping Canada’s skylines coast-to-coast. Entrenched in the foundation of a culture built more than a century ago is an enduring quest to reimagine what is possible. Our impact is greater than ever, and we are looking for those who seek to redefine their story.
We are a dynamic team of over 5,000 with a range of professions, backgrounds, and areas of expertise. This breadth of diversity in people and opportunities is one of the greatest aspects of building your career with Bird. Every trajectory looks different. At Bird, you hold the pen, and you write your story. As you unlock your potential, you are surrounded by a team that supports you every step of the way.
Be a part of our team, where we pride ourselves on the quality of our work and the way we treat each other and our partners. You will build a career and long-lasting relationships based on respect, collaboration, and a solution-focused mindset. Bird is a place where you will unlock your potential and achieve your goals.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Operations Services, the Project Manager will be responsible for all aspects of project execution on civil infrastructure projects including roadways, bridges, underground utilities, and pump stations. They will play a key leadership role by utilizing innovation, collaboration, and a solutions-driven approach to successfully deliver all projects.
This position is based in Toronto, ON.
- Promote the best interest of the company.
- Conduct performance plans and assessments with direct reports.
- Maintain a high level of morale among direct reports.
- Act as coach and mentor to the employees that report to the Project Manager.
- Develop project plans in coordination with the owner, and preparation of the cost plan and project schedule (estimate development, value engineering, and cost-saving opportunities).
- Responsible for pre-construction activities, including full delivery of a high-quality project.
- Continue through the tendering and construction phases of the project ensuring that all aspects are effectively coordinated and completed on schedule, meet the specifications, and are under budget.
- Participate and be a key contributor in the project development activities to secure the project.
- Develop and execute a project strategy that meets the project’s required performance, schedule, and profitability targets.
- Plan, facilitate, and incorporate the actions from:
- Strategy sessions
- Project start-up meetings for each phase of the work
- Engineering reviews
- Post-it note scheduling sessions; and
- Constructability reviews.
- Plan, organize, and direct the preconstruction activities – add value for all stakeholders, i.e., owner, designers, trades, and Stuart Olson.
- Assist the estimating team in the preparation of the project estimate or cost plan. Ensure that the estimate/cost plan incorporates value for the owner, and accommodates the consultant’s design intent and the targeted profitability.
- Plan resources in such a way that maximizes, safety, quality, and then profitability.
- Select trades to tender for optimum project success.
- Oversee the tendering and awarding of sub-trade contracts including the preparation and execution of subcontract agreements.
- Build and enhance relationships with new and existing clients, consultants, suppliers, and trades.
- Participate in the negotiation, preparation, and execution of the prime contract. Exhibit the key Stuart Olson values of safety, sustainability, collaboration, and integrity while also meeting all stakeholder commitments as outlined in the company brand value promise.
- Prepare and manage project budgets.
- Track project progress, variances, and recovery. Identify trends. Mitigate potential cost overruns and provide accurate revenue forecasts.
- Proactively, identify, address, and resolve issues/problems as or before they occur. React positively to change.
- Ensure project health, safety, and environmental standards meet or exceed legislated requirements and company policy.
- Organize and constructively participate with project team weekly resource schedule meetings and coordinate with civil lead.
- No lost time accidents. Ensure accurate and timely project administration/contract administration including pricing change orders, tracking requests for information, review of shop drawings, document control, and communication with all stakeholders.
- Work closely with project team members and other stakeholders to identify, develop, implement, and support cost-effective project delivery.
What we are Looking For
- Undergraduate degree in construction management, civil engineering, or relevant field experience
- 5+ years of hands-on leadership experience in a construction company
- Proven track record of successful project delivery on civil infrastructure construction projects ranging from $5 – $50+ million
- Deep expertise and a proven track record with respect to the continuous improvement of project delivery services and value-added constructability processes and practice
- Experience in working within a joint venture setting during preconstruction and construction phases
- Proven ability in ensuring successful completion of projects, their profitability, and for retaining owners as continuing clients of the company
- Evidence of exceptional leadership skills and ability to influence, mentor, and coach
- Ability to lead and operate within an environment where change happens frequently
- Commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training, and retaining a focused team; the foresight and ability to delegate accordingly
- Strong leadership capability as evidenced by demonstrable success in team / collaborative work environments
- Ability to forge, grow and maintain positive relationships with multiple groups
- Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously and meet the time demands of unpredictable activities, capable of handling pressure and challenges in a dynamic business environment
- Ability to work within tight deadlines and prioritization work to achieve them
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills, and a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively with a positive attitude
- Highly developed interpersonal and organizational skills
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
We Put Safety First
A healthy and safe work environment is non-negotiable. We build a culture of operational and psychological safety through engagement, learning, and leadership.
We Lead With Honesty
We speak and act with integrity, clarity, and care so people can trust our word and our work. Being honest means we can deliver the best outcomes and consistent results.
We Are Stronger Together
Success is a team effort. Our inclusive workplace enables our combined expertise, humility, and creativity to unlock our greater potential.
We Are Driven To Do Great Work
We built our name on quality. We have a passion for excellence in our work and relationships that honors our businesses and our industry.
We Create Opportunity
Rooted in a solid foundation, we adapt and grow to face the future. We are committed to elevating each other to chart the best path forward in an evolving world.