Weekend Jobs Wellington
|Post Name||Galley Assistants|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||NZD 10 To NZD 15 Per Hour|
|Location||Wellington, New Zealand 6011|
Sailing between Wellington and Picton, Bluebridge Cook Strait Ferries is part of one of New Zealand’s largest transport companies, which also includes linehaul and freight forwarding. We’re in an exciting growth and future-focused phase.
It’s the perfect time to jump aboard and be part of the journey! We’re on the lookout for Galley Assistants (Commis Chefs) to work aboard our passenger’s vessels, with opportunities to join our team on a permanent or fixed-term basis:
• Assisting in cooking breakfast, lunch, and dinner menu items for crew and passengers under the direction of the Chief Cook
• Heating and/or cooking of all foods for hot hold
• Assisting with daily food preparation
• Assisting with set-up of the bain-marie area and assist with food service
• Preparing short-order meals for special dietary requirements
• Any baking requirements as directed by Chief Cook
• Stocking fridges/freezers, dishes, and cleaning within the galley as directed by the Chief Cook
• Maintaining the safe and hygienic operation of the vessel’s galley in conjunction with the NZFSA Food Control Plan
This is a seagoing position that offers variety, training, and development opportunities, along with some pretty amazing ‘office’ views!
Enjoy a fantastic work-life balance with a roster of 7 days on, followed by 7 days off Shifts on board are 12 hours a day (This includes nights, weekends, and public holidays)
For this role, there is the option to either live on board or walk-on walk-off. (There are sometimes instances where you would need to live on board to meet operational requirements.)
The live onboard crew has use of a cabin with an ensuite bathroom whilst on board.
Uniforms are provided and car parking is available while you are working on board.
What do we look for?
• A positive, can-do attitude with a passion for people and food
• True team players – you’ll always be ready to roll up your sleeves and pitch in
• Food Safety Certificate and Food Control Plan knowledge
• Excellent communication and time management skills
• Experience in high volume food production – breakfast, lunch, and dinner but not essential
• The ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• You will hold a recognized cooking qualification, or be working towards obtaining one
• Valid STCW Certification would be highly advantageous but are not essential
• The ability to communicate with passengers during an emergency, by use of the English language.