Student – Human Resources Assistant
- Company Name: Various Ministries
- Job type: Full-time
Are you a student looking for an opportunity to build your career over the summer? Are you passionate about making a difference?
The Summer Employment Opportunities program provides students with opportunities to obtain valuable work experience, gain transferable skills, and build professional networks.
- LEARN: Jump-start your career, whether you want to learn business skills, use your French language skills, help out in a lab, or work outdoors. Put the knowledge you’ve acquired at school into action.
- GROW: Enhance your skills and expand your network by working on projects, leading initiatives, and sharing your ideas. Transfer the skills you learn to your future school and work experiences.
- CONTRIBUTE: In addition to advancing your professional and personal skills, you will also give back to your community. Spend your summer working to support the interests of Ontarians!
- Relocation expenses and/or accommodations are not covered by ministries.
- The number of positions to be filled is approximate and subject to change.
- Please use your legal name when applying to the job ad.
All applications must be submitted through the Ontario Public Service Careers website by clicking the Apply Online button on the job ad. Applications submitted through third-party websites will not be accepted.
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:We are committed to building a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promoting a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful, and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advancing racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario’s Human Rights Code. Refer to the “How to apply” section if you require disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
- Provide assistance on HR activities, including recruitment, health and wellness, workforce planning, employee engagement, accessibility, diversity, and learning and development, etc.
- Prepare and organize correspondence, perform data entry and word processing functions, and create a variety of documents.
- Work/interact with a wide network of internal clients and team members.
- Planned, organize, coordinated, and manage daily assigned work.
How do I qualify?
MandatoryYou must meet all eligibility criteria by the first day of employment (contracts begin between May and July):
Student Status: You must be enrolled in a secondary or post-secondary institution (currently or for the fall semester) OR you must have graduated within the past six months (for example, if you graduated in December, you can apply for and start a summer student position up until June of the following year).
Age: You must be a minimum of 15 years of age. There is no maximum age limit.
Residency: You must be a resident of Ontario during the term of employment.
Work Status: You must be legally entitled to work in Canada. You are also required to have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN) upon being hired.
Application: Applications are only accepted online by clicking the “Apply Online” button. Your application should describe how you meet the knowledge and skill requirements outlined in this job ad.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- You apply your written communication skills to document findings, record data, and prepare a variety of documents (e.g. reports, presentations, meeting minutes, etc.).
- You apply your customer service skills to respond to phone, email, and in-person inquiries and provide information to internal clients.
- You apply your initiative and interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team.
Technical Skills and Knowledge
- You apply your experience using Microsoft Office applications, such as Word (word processing) and Excel (spreadsheets), as well as databases, email, and the internet to conduct research and prepare a variety of documents.
- You apply your knowledge and/or experience with Human Resources principles and practices to perform a variety of HR-related activities, such as data verification, preparing statistical reports, assisting with training, recruitment, and program delivery, and interpreting directives/legislation, etc.
Analytical and Organizational Skills
- You apply your discretion and sensitivity skills when working with confidential information.
- You use the internet and other sources to gather and aggregate data, analyze and input data findings, and summarize information.
- You apply your planning and organizational skills to collect, organize, review, and verify information/data through the review of files, reports, and other means.
- You work independently or as part of a team; you plan, organize and prioritize your work to meet competing deadlines.
Other Summer Opportunities
We offer a variety of job types in diverse career fields. See what other summer opportunities are currently available!
Also, check out all the other student and new professional opportunities offered within the Ontario Public Service.
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Corporate Talent Programs Branch, Talent and Leadership Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or another federal offense record (s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual’s employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
- Some positions advertised in this job ad are represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU) and successful candidates will be required to pay monthly union dues, which are automatically deducted from your pay.
Other positions advertised in this job ad may be excluded from the OPSEU Collective Agreement (i.e. not represented by OPSEU), depending on the business area within the Ministry in which the work is performed. You will be advised during the recruitment process by the hiring manager of the business area.
You will receive a confirmation splash page verifying receipt of your application when it has been successfully received. You will only receive an email confirmation if you have entered your email address in the application. If you do not receive a confirmation splash page, it is likely that your application was not successfully received and it is recommended that you resubmit your application. If that still does not result in a confirmation, please contact SEO@ontario.ca during the posting period. We cannot provide assistance with submitting your application after the job ad deadline date.