University of British Columbia
|Post Name||Service Worker|
|Qualification||High School Diploma|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||CAD 3351 To CAD 3537 Per Month|
|Location||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V6T 1Z4|
Job Description Summary
Under direction and supervision, participates as a member of the mobile housekeeping unit in carrying out cleaning and service work involving moving from building to building within residential areas.
Is required to observe safe working conditions and habits; may be assigned to day, evening, and night shifts and any day of the week.
Works from oral and written instructions, schedules, and specific requirements which may be of a daily and periodic nature and according to procedures.
Reports to Housekeeping Supervisor, Assistant Housekeeping Supervisor, or Manager.
Requests and receives materials and equipment for the work assigned and maintains an adequate level of cleaning supplies and equipment according to instructions. Maintains and ensures such equipment is in good operating condition.
Carries out cleaning and service work in such areas as living accommodations, suites, washrooms, kitchens, meeting rooms, porches, entranceways, lobbies, hallways, corridors, common areas, social wings, game rooms, laundry rooms, storage rooms, workout rooms and other designated areas in residences and housing units involving such duties as:
- Cleaning, dusting, sweeping, mopping, washing, vacuuming, polishing, disinfecting, and scrubbing all surfaces of floors walls, fixtures and furniture, shower stalls, bathtubs, sinks, toilets, and appliances, operating light or heavy duty hand or power operated cleaning equipment, replenishing supplies such as soap, toilet paper, paper towels, writing papers, etc.
- Removing old wax and polish coating from floor fixtures or furniture and re-waxing or polishing; periodic shampooing of carpets.
- Cleaning and washing interior and exterior accessible windows and other glass surfaces.
- Rearranging, moving, and setting up furniture and equipment as required
- Making beds, changing linen, and returning soiled linens to designated collection areas; distributing linen and collection laundry.
- Collecting garbage and waste including tidying and cleaning ashtrays, emptying waste receptacles, and depositing them in containers or pick-up points.
- Cleaning vents in buildings and all drains, cleaning, and servicing washrooms.
- Putting up and replacing signs on notice boards, doors, or other easily reachable surfaces as required.
- Sweeping and cleaning sidewalks and related areas; cleaning snow when required.
Performs minor maintenance and repairs including such tasks as hammering in nails, hanging pictures, drapes, and blinds, oiling hinges and locks, changing light bulbs, tightening screws on fixtures, minor furniture repairs, and adjustments, replacing door stops, adjusting door closures, unplugging toilets, removing broken glass from windows, removing and cleaning light fixtures, changing broken switch and wall plug covers, etc.
Submits reports regarding maintenance or repairs needed to buildings and utilities and reports signs of failure or abuse of fixtures and furnishings.
Reports any unusual circumstances related to building security, and ensure that doors and windows are properly secured.
Attends to guest requests and their needs as appropriate.
Carries out any other related duties necessary in keeping with the requirements and qualifications for the job.
The consequence of Error/Judgement
Poor customer service will result in unsatisfactory job performance.
Receives specific instructions only on new or unusual problems. Is expected to develop appropriate work procedures.
May oversee the work of unskilled workers.
General Knowledge of cleaning rules and regulations, security and safety policies and procedures. Ability to meet physical requirements involving considerable walking, climbing, and manual work.
Bondable, and the ability to follow instructions and to adopt new methods and practice. Ability to work with others. Ability to communicate in English effectively verbally and in writing. Available to work weekends, may be required to work evenings.
The University of British Columbia is a global center for research and teaching, consistently ranked among the top 20 public universities globally. A large part of what makes us unique is the community of engaged students, faculty, and staff who are collectively committed to shaping a better world.
Recognized as a leading employer in British Columbia and Canada, UBC supports inspired students, faculty, and staff on their journey of discovery, and challenges them to realize their greatest potential.
New ideas, changing infrastructure, innovative technology, and fresh approaches are opening up possibilities for the future of research, teaching, and work. Are you ready to embrace the future together?
Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged.
We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.